Native Americans and a variety of other cultures ate psychedelic mushroom spores in their religious ceremonies and to expand their minds. Unfortunately, these mushrooms have other very serious effects that can lead to both addiction and the need for addiction treatment. Doctors and scientists have studied these effects extensively and trying to understand exactly what psychedelic mushrooms do and what all of their effects are.
How they Work?
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, psychedelic mushrooms affect the brain by utilizing the receptors in the brain that use the neurotransmitter serotonin. This happens in the prefrontal cortex of the brain. The prefrontal cortex controls:
- basic thought
- regulates arousal
- controls responses to stress and panic
- higher thinking
It is through this action that it produces the hallucinogenic effects that people who use mushrooms enjoy. Unfortunately, it also produces other effects that are not so enjoyable.
Effects that You Feel
The psilocybin in the mushrooms is what acts in the brain. There are a variety of effects that people expect and some that people do not. Many people experience:
- visual hallucinations
- auditory illusions
- phantom smells
- auditory hallucinations
- swollen features
- pupil dilation
- numbness of the mouth
Most of these effects are relatively harmless unless you have what is known as a bad trip. A bad trip involves:
- nightmarish visions
- psychotic episodes
- a psychotic break
- extreme fear and anxiety
There are also rare cases of a disorder called Hallucinogenic Persistent Perceptive Disorder. This disorder is characterized by permanent and persistent hallucinations. Unlike mild flashbacks, these hallucinations are continuous or semi-continuous.
Although this disorder is treatable, it is chronic. In most cases it can be treated with medication or hospitalization. In rare cases it is treatable with behavior therapy.
Treating a Psychedelic Mushroom Addiction
An addiction to psychedelic mushrooms is a dangerous one. You are addicted if find yourself:
- caring more about using the mushrooms than everything else
- trying different and possibly dangerous mushrooms to get high
- making sure that you always have a supply of mushrooms
- neglect your obligations
- use mushrooms to trip at work
- stop caring about your friends and family
Although mushrooms are not normally considered dangerous, it is possible to develop an addiction that needs treatment.
According to the National Library of Medicine, magic mushrooms or psychedelic mushrooms are psychologically addictive. This means that there is no physical treatment for addiction to them. Some behavioral therapies and group counseling have met with success in treating addiction to psychedelics.
It is important to note that addiction to psychedelics often has an underlying cause such as a mood disorder or other mental illness. In this case once the illness is treated the desire to use mushrooms can be negated with behavior modification. To find a treatment center to help you with an addiction to psychedelic mushrooms call 800-609-2774 (Who Answers?) .