Call Now: 24Hr Addiction Hotline 800-609-2774 Who Answers?

Psychedelic Mushrooms

Magic mushrooms produce auditory and visual hallucinations that some people seek out, but that are potentially dangerous. Also known as shrooms, the drug can produce a bad high if too much is taken.

Psychedelic mushrooms are a particular type of mushrooms that contain the drug psilocybin which can lead to hallucinations and out of body experiences when consumed. The chemical complex of psilocybin is related to LSD though they are not the same exactly they are very similar in scope. Most people know psilocybin on the streets as mushrooms, magic mushrooms or shrooms.

How Psychedelic Mushrooms are Used

According to the New South Wales State Library, magic mushrooms are usually ingested to produce a powerful high that may include auditory and visual hallucinations, out of body experiences and a total body effect. The mushrooms contain psilocybin which can be dried and stored for later use. Sometimes, psychedelic mushrooms are brewed into a tea or mixed with juice other times they are simply chewed and swallowed.


Dosing levels are difficult to control because psychedelic mushrooms are not regulated and there is no simple way to know how much psilocybin is contained on a single mushroom cap. The average dose of psilocybin needed to produce a euphoric effect is about 5 milligrams but some users will take up to 10 milligrams at a time. Dosing is challenging at best due to the uncontrollable, natural levels of psilocybin that are found in the mushrooms which cannot be openly measured.

Dangers of Psychedelic Mushrooms

magic shrooms

Magic mushrooms are taken for their hallucinogenic effects, which can be dangerous.

If you’re not a doctor, you have taken mushrooms before to get high or you simply don’t know what you’re doing then there are a number of potential risks associated with taking psychedelic mushrooms to get high. There are an estimated 200 different mushrooms that contain psilocybin and can produce euphoric effects when consumed but certain variations of these mushrooms are poisonous and other variations can be deadly.

Picking a poisonous mushroom that looks like a psychedelic mushroom can cause deadly side effects if eaten. Psychedelic mushrooms that are rotten or which have spoiled are also dangerous for the user to eat. Mushrooms that grow mold on them can be toxic if consumed.

Additional dangers surround the use of psychedelic mushrooms in the event that the user experiences a bad trip or bad high. Psilocybin can cause the user to experience a complete loss of reality that will induce severe anxiety and paranoia. The user can feel as if he or she is not himself and may experience severe hallucinations that can cause adverse side effects.

Because there is a risk of a user taking magic mushrooms and experiencing a bad trip, there are no recommended safe levels of psilocybin that are considered accepted. Users who take psychedelic mushrooms should begin with a very low dose to prevent terrifying levels of anxiety and paranoia from occurring as a result of a bad trip.

How Much is Too Much?

Studies estimate that taking anything more than 13 milligrams of psilocybin can be dangerous and will distort the perception of the user to a point in which a bad trip could possibly occur. This is not an overdose level as further studies have shown that a user would have to eat approximately 30 pounds of psychedelic mushrooms in order to overdose on psilocybin but any level over 13 milligrams could result in either a “good” or possibly a “bad” trip.

Signs of Overdose on Magic Mushrooms

While overdose is not a common problem with magic mushrooms, users who take too much psilocybin can experience an array of side effects that resemble an overdose. High doses of magic mushrooms can lead to:

  • feeling lightheaded
  • feeling dizzy
  • having numbness in the mouth
  • numbness of the lips
  • excessive sweating
  • dehydration
  • heightened paranoia
  • heightened anxiety
  • loss of consciousness

Are Psychedelic Mushrooms Addictive?

Taking magic mushrooms regularly will not lead to compulsive drug seeking behavior or physical dependence like the dependence that ensues when taking other psychedelic drugs. This doesn’t mean that magic mushrooms are safe or that they should be regularly consumed as there are risks associated with taking psilocybin and having a bad trip.

Tolerance, a common sign of addiction, does develop quickly when taking psilocybin but it is not evidence of addiction. People who take magic mushrooms rarely experience addiction the way that such is experienced when using drugs such as heroin, prescription drugs or marijuana. Unfortunately, magic mushrooms can trigger deeper problems with mental instability including anxiety, aggressive disorders and schizophrenia which often require further treatment following an extended period of mushroom use.

Before taking psychedelic mushrooms, think about the long term consequences that can ensue from regular use of this naturally occurring substance. Aside from the dangers of poison or taking mushrooms that are bad, there are also substantial risks associated with long term mental illness and instability resulting from a bad trip.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Where do calls go?

Calls to numbers on a specific treatment center listing will be routed to that treatment center. Additional calls will also be forwarded and returned by a quality treatment center within the USA.

Calls to any general helpline (non-facility specific 1-8XX numbers) for your visit will be answered by a licensed drug and alcohol rehab facility, a paid advertiser on

All calls are private and confidential.

I NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE NOWI NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE NOW 800-609-2774Response time about 1 min | Response rate 100%
Who Answers?