MAPS is the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelics. It is an organization that dedicates itself to studying the illicit, medical, and treatment for the addiction to psychedelics. Since research into the therapeutic benefits of psychedelics was reinstated, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelics oversees a variety of forms of therapy and the treatment of psychedelic addiction among other addictions.
Which Drugs Does MAPS Work With?
MAPS works with a variety of psychedelics. Although many of the psychedelics out there are still not under investigation several of the major ones are. Their primary focus of research is on:
- MDMA Assisted Psychotherapy – using MDMA in a highly controlled setting and at a highly controlled dose to help patients with anxiety associated with chronic or terminal illness and social anxiety.
- LSD Assisted Psychotherapy – using LSD to help with psychotherapy sessions.
- Ayahuasca Assisted Treatment – using ayahuasca for the treatment of drug addiction and drug dependence.
- Ibogaine Therapy – using ibogaine for the treatment of drug addiction. Many countries around the world already use this particular drug for the treatment of drug addiction.
- Medical marijuana treatment – using medical marijuana as treatment for anxiety disorders such as anxiety, depression, cancer, appetite disorders, and other psychiatric and terminal illnesses.
Although controversial, many of these therapies are not new. In early research into the medical properties of psychedelic drugs, preliminary studies show that psychedelics had medical applications in the fields of psychotherapy and behavioral therapies.
What Does MAPS Do?
One aspect of MAPS is the research into therapeutic uses for psychedelics. They see a need for new treatments in mood disorders and anxiety disorders and are supporting, conducting, and following studies for these new treatments. They are also developing new treatments for addiction to both psychedelics and other drugs. These treatments are currently in human trials in many areas.
MAPS recognizes the need for new treatment methods as well as revisions of current ones. They support a variety of new therapies for drug addiction including using one drug to treat another. Unfortunately, psychedelic addiction is a little recognized disease.
Addiction to psychedelics is a psychological disorder. The only current treatment methods are different combinations of cognitive and behavioral therapies. Most of these therapies are highly effective for the treatment of psychedelic addiction.
MAPS in Research
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the National Library of Medicine, MAPS is one of the few research organizations afforded medical grade psychedelics such as marijuana for research and study purposes. They understand the importance of seeking treatment for psychedelic addiction. If you or someone you love has an addiction to psychedelic drugs, seeking treatment is the only answer.
Where to Find Treatment for Addition to Psychedelics
There are programs for inpatient and outpatient treatment for addiction to psychedelics. There are also a variety of research studies being conducted on new treatments. For more information on the treatment of psychedelic addiction call us at 1-800-895-1695.